Summary Work Background
Ms. Sussman has broad experience in business disputes gained during years of private practice and appointments as an arbitrator or mediator. For many years she represented both plaintiffs and defendants as an associate and then a litigation partner at White & Case LLP and as of counsel to Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney LLP, a litigation boutique in New York. During the past fifteen years she has served full time as an arbitrator and mediator in complex commercial domestic and international disputes.
As an arbitration panel chair, panel member or sole arbitrator she has conducted over 200 arbitrations under many institutional and ad hoc rules and has mediated over 200 disputes involving commercial contracts, energy, environment, mergers/acquisitions, finance, intellectual property, franchises/distributorships, partnership and joint venture, insurance, accounting, securities, real estate, pharmaceuticals, hospitality, aviation and professional liability.
Ms. Sussman’s extensive background enables her to quickly understand business issues and concerns and to manage both the arbitration and mediation process efficiently and fairly. She has handled claims and disputes ranging in value from $1 million to $1 billion.
- Ranked by Chambers Global and Chambers USA 2015 and 2016 for International Arbitration
- Ranked by Chambers USA 2016 for Mediation
- Listed annually: Who’s Who of International Commercial Arbitration and Who’s Who of Commercial Mediation
- Best Lawyer and Super Lawyers – listed annually for Arbitration and Mediation
- 2014 Achievement Award, Association for Conflict Resolution, NY Chapter
- Rated One of the Ten Outstanding International Mediators by Who’s Who Legal International Commercial Mediation, 2013
- Selected as Best Lawyer’s “2012 New York City Mediation Lawyer of the Year” (one selected)
- Rated Tier 1 by U.S. New & World Report for arbitration and mediation
- Selected as an Outstanding Woman in Energy Law by Energy Law 360.
- Recipient of 2008 Environmental Quality Award, United States Environmental Protection
Agency, Region 2
- Appointed by Mayor Bloomberg to serve as the single representative of the legal profession on the New York City Panel on Climate Change.
ADR Panel Affiliations:
Global: International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), large complex case, commercial and energy arbitration and mediation panels; Energy Arbitrators List Around the World, administered by the ICDR; International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR), Distinguished Panels of Neutrals for commercial, international, energy oil & gas, franchise, banking, accounting and financial services; registered with the U.S. Council of International Business (USCIB) for ICC International Court of Arbitration (ICC); on list of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA); certified by the International Mediation Institute (IMI).
North America: American Arbitration Association (AAA) Large Complex Case, Commercial, Environmental and Energy Arbitration and Master Mediator Panels; U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution (ECR); Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA); National Futures Association (NFA); National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN); British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre (BCICAC); U.S. District Court (S.D.N.Y.); New York State Supreme Court, Commercial Division; U.S. Bankruptcy Courts (S.D.N.Y., E.D.N.Y.).
Asia: Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC); Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA); Shanghai International Arbitration Center (SHIAC); Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration (SCIA); Singapore International Mediation Centre (SIMC), Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB); Pacific International Arbitration Center (PIAC).
Europe: Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage (ASA); Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC), Chinese European Arbitration Centre (CEAC).
Middle East: Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
Africa: Kigali International Arbitration Centre (KIAC)
Bar Association and Professional Affiliations:
American Arbitration Association, Board Member
New York International Arbitration Center, Vice–Chair and Board Member
College of Commercial Arbitrators, President, Fellow
AAA-ICDR Foundation, Chair
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow
American Bar Association (ABA)
- Co-Chair, 2010-2012 Arbitration Committee, Section of International Law, Senior adviser (2016-2017)
- Co- Chair, 2009-2012 Arbitration Committee and Member of Council, Dispute Resolution Section
- Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (2008-2010) and Renewable Energy Resources Committee (2006-2008), Section of Environment Energy and Resources
New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- Chair, 2010-2011, Dispute Resolution Section
- Co-Editor-In-Chief, New York Dispute Resolution Lawyer (2009-
New York City Bar Association (NYCBA)
- Chair, Energy Committee (2006-2009)
- Member, International Commercial Disputes Committee
Energy Bar Association (EBA)
- Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (2008-2009)
ICC, U.S. Member of the ICC Consultative Task Force on the ADR, Expertise and Dispute Board Rules and task force on Emergency Arbitrators
AAA, member of Drafting Committee on Rules Regarding Discovery
International Bar Association, member arbitration and mediation committees, subcommittee on IBA Rules on Investor State Mediation,
London Court of International Arbitration, Member, North American Users Member’s Council
International Arbitration Club of New York, Member
International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, Member Banking and Financial Services, Arbitration and Mediation committees
American Law Institute, Member Consultative Group, Restatement International Commercial Arbitration
Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Member Advisory Board
Member of various other organizations and committees
Faculty: Conducts semi-annual two day training for new American Arbitration Association arbitrators (one of six AAA trainers nationwide) and AAA training for new mediators, conducts one day training for the ICDR’s experienced arbitrators; delivers three day training for new arbitrators for the NYS Bar Association; serves as faculty for many other programs and institutions
Training: International Centre for Dispute Resolution, CPR, ICC and LCIA, numerous programs
American Arbitration Association, numerous arbitrator trainings annually from 1994
New York Stock Exchange and National Association of Securities Dealers, arbitrator training
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, mediation training (1997)
United States Bankruptcy Court and New York State Supreme Court, mediation trainings
U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution, conciliation training
Environmental Advocates of NY, Board member